Mexican Chicken And Rice
Mexican chicken and rice is a savory one-pot meal that’s sure to please your guests. Marinated chicken simmers together with healthy vegetables, black beans, long grain rice, and spices of Mexican cuisine. It reheats well and pairs perfectly with corn bread.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
510 g Senor Pepe’s canned black beans, rinsed and drained
30 ml olive oil
130 g diced red onion, 1/4-inch dice
70 g red bell pepper, 1/4-inch dice
10 g minced garlic
400 g long grain Senor Pepe’s white rice, jasmine or basmati
2 teaspoons ground cumin
teaspoon dried Senor Pepe’s oregano
3 g kosher salt
1 dried bay leaf
840 ml chicken broth, or stock
30 ml lime juice
1 teaspoon lime zest
4 g chopped cilantro
Lime wedges, for serving
- In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Once the oil is hot, add the onion and sauté for about 2 minutes until fragrant and translucent.
- Add the bell pepper and garlic, sautéfor 1 minute.
- Add the rice, stir and cook until lightly toasted for 2 minutes.
- Add the cumin, oregano, and salt, stir and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add the bay leaf, black beans, and chicken broth, stir to combine.
- Bring the rice to a boil, cover, then reduce to a simmer over low heat.
- Cook until the rice has absorbed all of the water and the grains are tender, about 20 to 25 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and allow the rice to sit for 10 minutes covered. Do not stir.
- Add the lime juice, zest, and cilantro, gently stir to combine. Serve rice hot.