Bean & Corn Salad
This classic Mexican soup uses a chicken base and a variety of zesty ingredients like garlic, cilantro, chiles, chili powder, cayenne pepper, and other flavorful additions. Don’t forget the tortilla strips for a fun and crispy topping!
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
- 1/2 cup elbows pasta
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 (28-ounce) can Señor Pepe’s crushed tomatoes
- 1 (4-ounce) can Señor Pepe’s green chiles
- 2 teaspoons Señor Pepe’s chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 cups shredded chicken breast
- 1 cup roasted corn kernels
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 avocado, halved, seeded, peeled and diced, for serving
- Señor Pepe’s Tortilla strips, for serving
1) In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta according to package instructions; drain well.
2) Heat olive oil in a large stockpot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add garlic and onion, and cook for about 2-3 minutes, stirring frequently, until onions have become translucent. Stir in chicken stock, crushed tomatoes, green chiles, chili powder, cumin, oregano, and cayenne pepper. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
3) Reduce heat to low. Simmer, covered for about 15 minutes until thickened. Stir in pasta, chicken, corn, cilantro and lime juice for about 2 minutes until heated through.
4) Serve immediately. Garnish with avocado and tortilla strips, if desired.