Black Beans And Rice
Black beans and rice make the perfect side dish but are also hearty enough to serve as a main meal. This recipe combines grains of white rice that simmer with vegetables and fiber-rich black beans for a satisfying family dinner.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
510 g Señor Pepe’s canned black beans, rinsed and drained
30 ml olive oil
130 g diced red onion, 1/4-inch dice
70 g red bell pepper, 1/4-inch dice
10 g minced garlic
400 g long grain Señor Pepe’s white rice
2 teaspoons Señor Pepe’s ground cumin
1 teaspoon dried Señor Pepe’s oregano
3 g kosher salt
1 dried Señor Pepe’s bay leaf
840 ml chicken broth, or stock
30 ml lime juice
1 teaspoon lime zest
4 g chopped cilantro
Lime wedges, for serving
- In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Once the oil is hot, add the onion and sauté for about 2 minutes until fragrant and translucent.
- Add the bell pepper and garlic, sauté for 1 minute.
- Add the rice, stir and cook until lightly toasted for 2 minutes.
- Add the cumin, oregano, and salt, stir and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add the bay leaf, black beans, and chicken broth, stir to combine.
- Bring the rice to a boil, cover, then reduce to a simmer over low heat.
- Cook until the rice has absorbed all of the water and the grains are tender, about 20 to 25 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and allow the rice to sit for 10 minutes covered. Do not stir.
- Add the lime juice, zest, and cilantro, gently stir to combine. Serve rice hot.