Chicken Tortilla Soup
This classic Mexican soup uses a chicken base and a variety of zesty ingredients like garlic, cilantro, chiles, chili powder, cayenne pepper, and other flavorful additions. Don’t forget the tortilla strips for a fun and crispy topping!
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (4-ounce) can Señor Pepe’s green chiles
- 2 teaspoons Señor Pepe’s chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon Señor Pepe’s dry oregano
- Pinch of Señor Pepe’s cayenne pepper
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 cups shredded chicken breast
- 1 cup roasted corn kernels
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 avocado, halved, seeded, peeled and diced, for serving
- Señor Pepe’s Tortilla strips, for serving
- Heat olive oil in a large stockpot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add garlic and onion, and cook for about 2-3 minutes, stirring frequently, until onions have become translucent.
- Stir in chicken stock, crushed tomatoes, green chiles, chili powder, cumin, oregano, and cayenne pepper. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Reduce heat to low. Simmer, covered for about 15 minutes until thickened. Stir in chicken, corn, cilantro and lime juice for about 2 minutes until heated through.
- Serve immediately. Garnish with avocado and tortilla strips, if desired.