Slow Cooker Charro Beans
This Mexican charro bean recipe is bursting with exciting flavors that include garlic, tomatoes, green chiles, cilantro, jalapeños, and other spices. It can be served alone, over rice, or with nacho chips as an unforgettable side dish.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 8 to 10 hours
- 1 pound dried Señor Pepe’s pinto beans
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups beef broth
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- Señor Pepe’s jalapeno, diced
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon Señor Pepe’s garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon Señor Pepe’s chili powder
- 1 (10-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (10-ounce) can Señor Pepe’s green chiles
- 1 cup fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Place the beans in a colander, rinse and drain.
- Pour the beans into the slow cooker. Cover with water and beef broth. Add chopped garlic, jalapeño, cumin, garlic powder, and chili powder.
- Cover and cook on low for 7 to 9 hours or until almost done.
- Stir in the diced tomatoes and green chiles. Cover and cook for an additional hour or until tender (the total cooking time will likely be between 8 to 10 hours, depending on how hot your particular slow cooker runs).
- When the beans are done, season with salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste.